Lampeter Town Hall's History
When the old Town Hall became derelict, J B Harford of Falcondale (and Blaise Castle outside Bristol) commissioned a new one, more suitable for the Court of Quarter Sessions and the County Assize.
He commissioned architect R J Withers to design it and it was built between 1871 and 1872. Withers practiced mainly in the West Country and was known best for his work on churches and schools. He must have been having a good year in 1871 as he was also refitting the interior of James Gibbs’ Baroque church of St Mary-le-Strand (the official church of the Wrens). He was proud enough of his design for Lampeter’s Town Hall to exhibit it at the Royal Academy’s 1882 exhibition.