A Quilted Bridge. The exhibition launched in 2012 and invites the audience to compare Welsh and Amish Quilts.
When the old Town Hall became derelict, J B Harford of Falcondale (and Blaise Castle outside Bristol) commissioned a new one, more suitable for the Court of Quarter Sessions and the County Assize.
A Great Day for The Welsh Quilt Centre and Lampeter on 1st June 2010.
Their Royal Highnesses Prince Charles and The Duchess of Cornwall formally opened the Jen Jones Welsh Quilt Centre. The Royal Couple toured the current quilt exhibition guided by Jen Jones and Roger Clive-Powell.
The Welsh Quilt Centre opened in Lampeter Town Hall in 2009 to celebrate the Welsh Quilt and to promote a wider understanding of the importance of this regional art form. There you can enjoy stunning exhibitions of Welsh Quilts in the gallery, attend quilt-related courses or just browse the intriguing Welsh Quilt Centre Gallery Shop. Her original cottage shop in Llanybydder also remains open.
Jen has written two books;
Welsh Quilts - A Towy Guide (pub. Towy Publishing: 1997, 2003) and Les Quilts Gallois / Welsh Quilts (pub. Quiltmania: 2005). These are available from the Gallery Shop.
2009 saw the acquisition of Lampeter Town Hall and its conversion into the Jen Jones Welsh Quilt Centre. The Centre opened on 1st August 2009 and is a fitting home for her remarkable collection of quilts.
Here, Jen visits the building work a few weeks before the Welsh Quilt Centre opened.
Quilts from her collection have been exhibited widely in Wales, England, Japan and the United States.
In 2010 two of her quilts were included in the V&A’s major exhibition of quilts from the UK: “Quilts 1700 to 2010”.
In 2012, some of the quilts were taken as part of the Yokohama Quilt Festival in Japan.
This image is of the 2004 exhibition at The American Museum near Bath featuring quilts from Jen’s and the Museum's collection.
By the twentieth century quilt making was uneconomical.
Between the Wars there was a resurgence partly due to the Rural Industries Bureau which was started in 1928 in order to stimulate craft industries in Wales during the Depression. The finished product was often sold in commercial galleries to smart hotels, the upper classes and even to Royalty.
Regrettably, this enterprise was halted by the Second World War and post-war attempts to stimulate another revival failed.
From about 1890 to 1940 satin-cotton was the dominant fabric being used for quilts. These were often wholecloth quilts with one side in a plain colour and the reverse patterned or floral.
By the mid nineteenth century, quilting had become a cottage industry. Most quilts were made by paid professionals such as miners’ widows or village seamstresses. Some were itinerants who boarded at a farm and stayed for the two weeks or so it took to complete a quilt.
The fabric and filling were always supplied by the farmer’s wife but the quilting pattern was chosen by the quilter